Raise $13,000 for the first and only outreach center in La Colonia de Madrid and San Felipe providing over 1,200 meals monthly and educating hundreds of youth and families breaking the cycle, and transforming a community into a haven of hope.
The Problem: Hunger
Guatemala has the fourth highest rate of chronic malnutrition in the world and the highest in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Chronic malnutrition affects about half of the nation’s children under the age of 5
- In Guatemala over half of the population is under 18 years of age.
- Highest stunting rates in the Americas with 49% of Guatemalan children under five years of age chronically malnourished
- In the Colony of Madrid and San Felipe, Escuintla over 80% of the population live in extreme poverty and cannot even provide daily meals to their children.
Haven of Hope Feeding & Educational Center
Located in the Colonia of Madrid and San Felipe, our Haven of Hope Center is the only outreach center in the third largest city in Guatemala, providing two nutritious meals daily to the most vulnerable of children in the community, children who most days live on less than a piece of bread a day, and spend their time in the streets begging and searching for food for their families. A nutritious meal is essential for survival and development. In attending our Haven of Hope Center the Hope Movement does not just provide physical nourishment, but through education and counseling we provide spiritual and emotional nourishment to guide children, heal their inner wounds, and inspire them to pursue their life’s purpose, understanding that poverty is not their destiny, it is only an obstacle to overcome to make their dreams into a reality.
Every month over 1,200 meals are provided to the youth enrolled in our Haven of Hope programs. We focus on not only feeding the children physically but also emotionally and spiritually, for we long to see their dignity and self-esteem restored. In order the break the cycle of poverty and hunger, we must change the mind-set of those in need of assistance. It is important for them not to develop a mentality of dependence, but an understanding that assistance is a guide for them to escape the bondage of poverty, that poverty is not their destiny, it is only an obstacle to overcome to make their dreams into a reality.
Children are registered in our feeding and educational program, and receive monthly credits to use to pay for their daily meals. We have developed a credit system so that children understand that they must work hard in life to achieve success, breaking the mentality of begging and dependency and at the time receive emotional and spiritual nourishment through education and counseling programs. Credits are continually earned by committing to community service, attending classes that are offered, or regular attendance at the church of their choice.
Education and Counseling Center
Our vision is to form a new generation of transformation by reaching out to youth searching for guidance. Youth attend our weekly one-on-one and group education and counseling sessions which are conducted by our counselors and teachers. Youth receive non-formal education in a variety of subjects and are able to openly discuss their concerns and confusion about life issues and discuss their feelings, internal issues, addictions, hopes and dreams, opening the doors for healing. Courses and sessions focus on concerns faced by all youth including family drama and abandonment, self-esteem, relationships health, spirituality, and finding your life’s purpose. Through counseling sessions youth receive essential tools to live a healthy and stable life, becoming leaders and positive role models in the community.
Generation of Transformation Leadership Development
Elements of our costumed designed leadership curriculum is provided to youth enrolled in the Haven of Hope Center, developing a mission mentality and incorporating evidence-based guidance, providing youth with an inspiring approach to shaping their hearts and minds by giving them a deep understanding of their life’s purpose. The eyes of the youth are opened to the realities of spiritual and social issues that millions of people are facing around the world, injecting an unshakable passion to make a stand for change. In now understanding their spiritual and social responsibility, fueled by their deep passion, youth are taught the key components of leadership, and are given the essential tools to incorporate their leadership abilities with their life’s purpose and inner passion, forming a new generation of transformation.
Groups of students then take their knowledge and turn it into action by reaching those in their daily lives, and unite with others in the community on a monthly basis to volunteer their time to restore communities, counsel, educate, and assist local outreach programs, transforming lives and guiding them to next level of leadership.
- Daily Nutritious Meals
- Non-formal Educational • Medical Care by Volunteer Doctors and Nurses
- Health and Hygiene Education
- Drug and Alcohol Use/ Abuse Prevention
- Self-esteem Counseling
- Family Counseling
- Leadership Development
- Spiritual Guidance
The Hope Movement is recruiting a movement of 3,000 volunteers to help collect 10 used/ and or broken cellphones. All you have to do is collect at least 10 cellphones, print out a free stamp using the attached manual, place a note saying these cellphones are for the Hope Movement, drop it in the mail, and a local recycle company will give a donation for every cellphone donated.
If you would like to volunteer, please email Jonathan Roiz at firstname.lastname@example.org, and to learn more and print out posters and stamps open the attached Volunteer of Hope Movement Manual.
This is an opportunity of a life-time to step outside of your comfort zone and unite as a volunteer of hope in the Hope Movement by helping us raise awareness and needed funds in order to fulfill the vision of God.
You can dedicate as time as you wish. You can raise awareness and funds by collecting used cell phones (We receive a donation for every phone collected), organize an event, contact family and friends, contact churches and businesses, contact philanthropists and grant-giving foundations, or be creative and create a new and effective idea. You can learn more by visiting the “Get Involved” page at http://www.hopemovement.com.
You Action of Love Will Help Fund These Programs:
- Build and Operate a Haven of Hope Center in Escuintla, Guatemala.
- Operate a Haven of Hope Center in Iquitos, Peru.
- Build and Operate a Haven of Hope Center and Center for Victims of Abuse in San Sebastian, Costa Rica.
- Sewing Center, Computer Learning Center, Youth Development Program, Sunday Schools in Isalmabad, Pakistan.
- Feeding Program in Haiti feeding over 200,000 people.
- Feeding Program in Guatemala feeding over 200,000 people
- Feeding Program in Nicaragua feeding over 200,000 people
- Feeding Program in Philippines feeding over 200,000 people
- Feeding Program in Peru feeding over 200,000 people
- Establish hundreds of Hope Movement Cells throughout the world
- Conduct medical missions.
- Unite thousands of churches, ministries, foundations, and individuals together as one to transform cities.
- Combat Human Trafficking.
- Shake People from their Comfort Zone, and Inspire them to Take Action.